The New Deal Cafe is a non-stock, cooperative membership corporation organized and existing under the laws of the State of Maryland. If you’re interested in the inner workings of the cooperative, visit the member area.
Become a Member
YOU can be one of the proud owners of the New Deal Cafe! You can help to steer the cafe’s future! Vote at our membership meetings, join the board of directors or a committee!
Board of Directors
The board of directors is elected from the membership to oversee operation of the cafe. The current board members are
- Tom LeaMond (president)
- Nancy Melandry (secretary)
- Dorian Winterfeld (treasurer)
- Susan Harris
- Terri Goodnow
Regular board meetings are held on the 4th Monday of the month at 6:30pm at the cafe. Members are welcome at regular board meetings.
- Frank Gervasi
- Alicia Delianis
- Mike Stark
- Executive Chef: Carrie Megginson
- Bar Manager & Music Coordinator: Amethyst Dwyer
- Systems & Media Manager: Heather Brooks
- Kitchen Managers: Jeremy Ehrenreich
How Can I Help?
- Become a member! The New Deal Cafe is a member-supported cooperative.
- Donate to the cafe to enhance your dining experience. Help fund major improvements like a new floor and nice furniture. You do not have to be a member to donate, but becoming a member gives you a voice and a vote in the operation of the cafe.
- Volunteer — join a committee!
- Bring your friends to the Cafe!
A Short History of the New Deal Cafe
For years, Greenbelt residents caught up on old news and greeted their neighbors in such places as the produce aisle of the Co-op grocery store and the gasoline station. These are not the ideal locations for extended philosophical debates and lively games of chess. Greenbelt was in need of a coffee house. Perhaps the idea for a cafe was spurred on by a vacant space (later filled) at Greenbelt’s Roosevelt Center, which seemed perfect for such a meeting place. Read more!