JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: MUSIC COORDINATOR FOR NEW DEAL CAFE
The New Deal Cafe, an award-winning, music-and-arts venue, restaurant, and bar in Greenbelt, MD, is seeking a skilled and energetic coordinator for its music/entertainment program. The position requires prior experience in scouting, soliciting and booking bands and other live entertainment for a music venue. Knowledge of the DMV music scene is a must, and familiarity with the Cafe is a plus. Experience with WordPress, Excel, design software, and social media marketing required. The position is envisioned as half-time (20 hours/week) to start, with the possibility of hours, pay, and responsibilities growing over time. Send a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in this position, along with a resume, to by Dec. 30. The New Deal Cafe is a not-for-profit, member-owned cooperative and Equal Opportunity Employer.
NEW DEAL CAFE MUSIC COORDINATOR JOB DESCRIPTION
- Scout, solicit, and schedule live music & other live performances (pub quiz, comedy night, etc) for six nights each week, within whatever Covid parameters the Cafe establishes.
- Promote the Cafe’s live music events on social media (including the Cafe’s website and FB pages, and various DMV live music FB pages)
- Create monthly calendar of events for posting on website, newsletter, and social media, and for printing & distribution to Co-op, local hotels, etc.
- Solicit, collect, and post flyers for live music events
- Coordinate w/ Food & Beverage manager to avoid scheduling conflicts with back-room events and ensure events are accurately posted on website event calendar
- Attend and participate in all board meetings and leadership team meetings -Coordinate w/ volunteer coordinator to ensure Covid monitor coverage
- Ensure that there are sound techs for all live music events
- Ensure that there is an MC/announcer/host for all live music events, and that Covid protocols (masking, etc.) are regularly promoted at events
- Ensure that sound and stage equipment (PA, mixer, speakers, mics & cables, mic stands, chairs, etc) is complete and in good working order
- Work with Cafe board to develop and implement a ticketing system and/or cover charge policy, if the board adopts such a system/policy.
- Prior experience in scouting, soliciting, and booking music acts and other entertainment for a small- or medium-sized music venue.
- Knowledge of the regional music scene.
- Computer skills: Excel, WordPress, and design software.
- Marketing experience through social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.), online news outlets, and traditional media (newspapers, radio, etc.)
- Familiarity with the New Deal Cafe, and understanding of its clientele, history, and unique management structure (a member-owned, volunteer-managed, not-for-profit cooperative) is a major plus.
- Flexibility, positive attitude, communication skills, initiative, and enthusiasm.
Salary, Benefits and Hours
Pay is negotiable. Hours and workplace are flexible (much of the job can be done offsite), but the coordinator will be expected to attend evening events at the Cafe regularly, along with board and leadership team meetings.
New Deal Cafe Board of Directors
As soon as possible, no later than Feb. 1, 2022.